For reprints of any of these publications, please email Dr. Pompano: rpompano [at] virginia.edu.
Any PDFs are provided solely for personal or educational use.
We are fortunate to have several stellar undergraduate researchers in the lab. (#) Indicates undergraduate co-author.
Microfluidics for immunology
17) Ross AE, Pompano RR. "Diffusion of cytokines in live lymph node tissue using microfluidic integrated optical imaging." Analytica Chimica Acta (2018), 1000, 205-213. [Full Text]
15) Pompano RR, Chiang AH, Kastrup CJ, Ismagilov RF. "Conceptual and Experimental Tools to Understand Spatial Effects and Transport Phenomena in Nonlinear Biochemical Networks Illustrated with Patchy Switching," Annual Review of Biochemistry (2017), 86 [Abstract]
Development of chemically-defined, peptide-based nanoparticles as non-inflammatory vaccines
14) Si Y, Wen Y, Chen J, Pompano RR, Han H, Collier JH, & Chong AS. “MyD88 in antigen-presenting cells is not required for CD4+ T-cell responses during peptide nanofiber vaccination,” MedChemComm (Epub before print). DOI: 10.1039/C7MD00367F
13) Mora-Solano C, Wen Y, Han H, Chen J, Chong AS, Miller ML, Pompano RR, & Collier JH. "Active immunotherapy for TNF-mediated inflammation using self-assembled peptide nanofibers," Biomaterials (2017), 149, 1–11. [Pubmed]
12) Pompano RR*, Chen J*, Verbus EA (#), Han H, Fridman A, McNeely T, Collier JH, & Chong AS. “Titrating T-Cell Epitopes within Self-Assembled Vaccines Optimizes CD4+ Helper T Cell and Antibody Outputs,” Advanced Healthcare Materials (2014), 3(11): 1898-908. *Equal contributions. [PubMed] [PDF]
11) Chen J*, Pompano RR*, Santiago FW, Maillat L, Sciammas R, Sun T, Han J, Topham DJ , Chong AS, & Collier JH “The use of self-adjuvanting nanofiber vaccines to elicit high-affinity B cell responses to peptide antigens without inflammation,” Biomaterials (2013) 34(34): 8776–8785. *Equal contributions. [PubMed]
Purpose-driven microfluidic device design
10) Pompano RR, Platt CE (#), Karymov MA, & Ismagilov RF “Control of initiation, rate, and routing of capillary-driven flow of liquid droplets through microfluidic channels on SlipChip,” Langmuir (2012) 28(3): 1931-1941 [PubMed]
9) Nichols KP, Pompano RR, Li L, Gelis AV, & Ismagilov RF "Toward Mechanistic Understanding of Nuclear Reprocessing Chemistries by Quantifying Lanthanide Solvent Extraction Kinetics via Microfluidics with Constant Interfacial Area and Rapid Mixing," J American Chemical Society (2011) 133(39):15721-15729. [Full Text]
8) Pompano RR, Liu W, Du W, & Ismagilov RF “Microfluidics Based On Spatially-Defined Arrays of Droplets in One, Two, and Three Dimensions,” Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry (2011) 4:59-81. (Review article) [Full Text]
Analysis of complex biochemical networks (blood clotting) using microfluidics and numerical simulations
7) Shen F, Pompano RR, Kastrup CJ & Ismagilov RF "Confinement Regulates Complex Biochemical Networks: Initiation of Blood Clotting by "Diffusion Acting"," Biophysical Journal (2009) 97, 2137-2145. [PubMed]
5) Kastrup CJ, Boedicker JQ, Pomerantsev AP, Moayeri M, Bian Y, Pompano RR, Kline TR, Sylvestre P, Shen F, Leppla SH, Tang WJ & Ismagilov RF "Spatial localization of bacteria controls coagulation of human blood by 'quorum acting'," Nature Chemical Biology (2008) 4, 742-750. [PubMed]
Prior research interests
4) Russell LE, Pompano RR, Kittredge KW & Leopold MC "Assembled nanoparticle films with crown ether-metal ion "sandwiches" as sensing mechanisms for metal ions," J of Materials Science (2007) 42, 7100-7108. [Full Text]
3) Pompano RR, Wortley PG, Moatz LM, Tognarelli DJ, Kittredge KW & Leopold MC "Crown ether-metal "sandwiches'" as linking mechanisms in assembled nanoparticle films," Thin Solid Films (2006) 510, 311-319. [Full Text]
2) Tognarelli DJ, Miller RB, Pompano RR, Loftus AF, Sheibley DJ & Leopold MC "Covalently networked monolayer-protected nanoparticle films," Langmuir (2005) 21, 11119-11127. [Full Text]
1) Liu J, Shang XM, Pompano R & Eisenthal KB "Antibiotic assisted molecular ion transport across a membrane in real time," Faraday Discussions (2005) 129, 291-299.